Thursday, September 15, 2011

Netbook Cover & A Confession

Have you entered the Megan Brooke Handmade Giveaway yet?
OR
Linked up your project to Show & Share?

I have a confession.
I can not sew perfectly!! Or craft perfectly for that matter!
Don't we all have days that whatever we're working on just doesn't come together like we thought or wanted?
Well I had one of those days!  Now I can fanaggle {like that new word?} things so they turn out alright and that's how I'm able to show you my netbook cover!  And trust me I learned from my 'do nots' on this one!
I'm headed out this weekend on our Ladies Retreat and knew I wanted to take my netbook with me but I don't have a cover/case.  I looked briefly last week for one and just didn't find anything I liked. 
 So why not make one since I had the materials?
And so begins the cover journey......

Supplies:
2 coordinating fabrics
quilting batting *this was kinda thick in spots!*a 'do not' for the future!
Velcro
sewing machine
hot glue gun


 Isn't this fabric great? I won it from Rocknregalia! Thanks girl!



What I did........

First I had to piece together my batting.  I basically made an envelope type cover.


Next I sewed the outside fabric {houndstooth} to the batting.  I traced a straight line on the sides of the batting since it wasn't cut perfectly straight.  I realize now that I need some basic sewing supplies!

Then with right sides together I sewed the lining fabric {floral} to the houndstooth/batting. I left a small opening on one corner.....

.....now turn it out.

Oh joy!! Why can't I sew straight? Oh joy!! What can't I measure right?
Yes it is NOT wide enough.  And it is barely long enough! Enter The Fanaggling!!
Fold in the corner where it's still open and sew shut, then making a finishing stitch on the bottom edge.

Using my netbook, I measured where I wanted to fold up the bottom at.  Then I pinned it and made a finishing stitch along the sides and the edge of the flap.  Now I have an envelope. The  flap is just barely long enough to close it.  So this is where I got the bright idea that I could make a cute ruffle to sew along the flap edge and it help in length.  Well the houndstooth doesn't want to ruffle so I decided to 'pleat' the edges of a strip of  fabric.....

Oh look! I'm measuring!! See? Lesson learned!

Isn't it nice?  I sewed it to the edge of the flap and added the Velcro....

Done! Ah..but it needs a little sumpin, sumpin..

Flowers did the trick!!



Ah! All done! I may not be perfect at sewing but I'm pretty darn good at fanaggling!

Now then.
I am featured at a cool place today..Gingerbread!
And I would love for you to head on over and take a peek!

See my Link Parties Page for where I'll be having fun at!!

Have a Happy Day!

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

OH my goodness, the fabric you chose is awesome! And you are really talented at sewing, what are you talking about?? I love how it turned out.

cestlavie22 said...

I absolutely love this! The flowers really make this look adorable. Things like this make me want to learn to sew!

The mum of all trades said...

Thanks so much for taking part in Weekend Wonders last week. Hope to see you again this week!

Lolly Jane said...

i ♥ this! just got a notebook and need a cover asap. i think i'll add a pocket as well to hold the cord. TFS!

new followers! love your cute blog!

XOXO,
kelli & kristi

Shabby Chic Sandy said...

That is really nice-love your fabric choices!

Jess@Balancing The Dream said...

this is awesome!! I love the fabrics and the colors!! great job!

Jennifer said...

@ Shabby Chic Sandy Thanks lady!!

Mrs.Sparks said...

darling!=)

Jennifer said...

@Mrs. Sparks...thanks so much!!

Linked Within



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...